Monday, November 4, 2013

unspeakable joy ... a poem

unspeakable joy 

when i can't sit still
and my hands begin to wave
my arms start to flail
my right foot stomps the church floor
that's unspeakable joy

the pounding from the floor
echos the pounding in my chest
I've been standing for an hour
but my legs won't stop shaking
the energy of unspeakable joy

i lift my left hand to the steeple
point my index finger to the heavens
tears blur my vision
leaving streaks on my cheeks 
trails of unspeakable joy

when I do lift my voice
it's more like a wail
a cry out to God
a moaning sacrifice of self
sounds of unspeakable joy

words can't tell it
songs can't sing it
stories can't share it
but you can see it

in the trembling lips
the rosy nose
the stained cheeks
the watery eyes
the furrowed brow
the sweat-shiny hairline

that's unspeakable joy

~cdw~
11/03/13

No comments:

Post a Comment