Monday, April 2, 2012

Apple Tree ... a poem (Part 2 of The Detox Trilogy)


Apple Tree
(part 2 of The Detox Trilogy)

high, high atop the apple tree
my juicy fruit swings
alone and untouched
Twenty feet tall
out of easy arm's reach
You've got to flex and stretch
if you want to grab hold of me

I didn't place myself high
God pulled me up
I just reached for the sky
I leaped toward my dreams
and lifted weights so I could climb
tall trees and rocky mountainsides
I thought fulfilling me
would indirectly attract the young 
and hungry herbivores
out to rule their world

But surprisingly, it seems
my height, smooth and shiny skin,
body - heart shaped and sweet -
Mind and Spirit, too
are just that intimidating to you

It's hard for me to believe.
I'm just a lone, seedy apple
germinating the ground
bearing some fruit
trying to reap what I sow
on a branch high, high up in a tree
Buffing out my blemishes
Working on my shine
Ripe for the picking
Reflecting the sun off my skin
Capturing the moon in my eyes
and waiting patiently
for someone hungry and determined enough
to desire me.

~cdw~

3 comments: